3.01.2008

ACTRA awards!!!! (I won!!!!!!*)



My date Stacy and I started our evening by wading through the slushy snowstorm in our finery to get to the damn awards. It took me three hours to decide what to wear. Except mostly because I was watching TV. It's hard to know what to wear to these things. It turned out that we could've gotten away with anything, there was such a range of fashion.



I finally chose this blue dress I bought in Saskatoon at Value Village (it's vintage) pinned with my grandmother's broach (antique) and my cowboy boots (sweet). I chose an "effortless" ponytail which was made popular at this year's Oscars. Oh, I'm also wearing a weird shrug that I found at a restaurant I used to work at.

We got drinks and found friends. We made a new friend in the elevator, her date had crapped out on her, so we adopted her. It was nice to see everyone from school Like Jennifer:



And Naomi:



I love how the drink is hiding my fat arm. Yeah huh. No really.

I have e-deduced that the babe I was hitting on is much younger than me. I'm finally at that age. To be fair though, he did have a devilish grin. Really. Actually, mostly the only real babes were the wait staff. And Colin Mochrie.
Notice, also, that my hand is never without a drink. And I didn't pay for any of them - thank you ACTRA!

The actual ceremony was alright. They only have three awards and I hadn't seen any of the winners before in my life. But they seemed happy and worthy and I felt glad for them.
Colin Mochrie was quite funny, as he is wont to be. Great audience (actors love reacting).
Wendy Crewson looked especially nice in a hot pink shift dress.
I had an extremely delightful old man next to me who told me
"Now you had better keep your hands to yourself.. I know it'll be hard but I've got my wife right here next to me - so you just mind yourself"
He was so dear (makes me think maybe it would be nice to have a decent grandfather, or father,even), we looked at the program together and we bonded over mutual adoration of Eric Peterson and the show Regenesis, which he's been on apparently. Turned out he lived in Saskatoon for some time and he said "I should've known you were a prairie girl - you didn't even have time to change your boots!" Oh yeah, he also said "Maybe I'm your dad!" which I found very random. And hilarious.

Eric Peterson (of Corner Gas, etc) won the big showy award and had a great speech. He told us how his grown daughters always tell him "don't worry little dad". So, so cute (speaking of wanting for fathers).

After the ceremony we met Colin and his wife Deb McGrath:



As much as I disliked the show Getting Along Famously, I have to say these two were wonderfully warm, friendly, and funny.
I held off telling Colin that it's really my mum who loves him best...



Check out the Felt Bird on my bag - Saskatoon represent.

Stacy was beyond excited to meet one of her idols, Tonya Lee Williams (I was excited too, though it made me sad because it was my daycare mum and I who used to watch Young and the Restless every day together).



I was beyond excited to meet Eric Peterson. He is seriously the best part of Corner Gas - let's not lie. And he's from Saskatchewan. And he's such a dear-heart.



He told us "Don't go to the states! Stay in Canada" and I said "I'm going back to Saskatoon!" and he and I bonded over how Saskatchewan should become the new film-making hub.
Aww.



Look how we're all gathered around him. (Except Jenn, smiling for the camera..)

We got a little tipsy...



Me more so than these two, actually, but way less so than the woman who fell over and barfed on the ground at around 8:30..

I kept saying to the wait staff "Fucking actors!" and they all laughed. Because I'm very funny like that. And because it was so true.

Afterwards, I went for food with Naomi and her BF, who was beyond cute and so perfect for her - she looks exactly like a prom queen/pageant winner and he looks exactly like a football star - in the perfect way.

ACTRA awards round-up:

- I want a BF (but only if he's perfect for me like Naomi's)
- I want a dad (but only if he's as awesome as Eric Peterson)
- I should've danced more
- Canadian celebrities are nice
- I like being an actor


*the adulation of my peers
blog comments powered by Disqus