9.17.2010

curried lentil quinoa soup! because it's fall!

and all of a sudden, it's fall! It's so fall around here. silly how it happens so quickly -- I wasn't quite done with summer, but on the other hand I have bought (way too many) clothes lately that are perfect for chillier temperatures and I'm excited to wear them!


okokok,

Curried Lentil and Quinoa Soup!

Man, I love soups, so much!

IMG_1091

I saw a recipe for this on the internet but then I just went ahead and made it however I felt (like always). I've actually made it a couple of times this week, both times a bit different, but anyway:

1/2 big onion
1 tbsp. butter
1tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic (I didn't actually have any garlic but if I did I woulda put it in)
1 medium potato
half a red pepper
1/2 cup lentils
1/2 cup quinoa
2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 tsp. italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 - 2 tsp. curry powder

okay, I cut up the onion and sauteed it in the butter and olive oil (mixing olive oil with butter keeps the sweet buttery goodness but is slightly better for you? word on the street), I would add garlic then too... cooked that for awhile, until the onions were a bit soft then i added the diced potato and stirred it and kept an eye on it, then added the red pepper, cooked it up in the oil for a couple more minutes (nothing needs to be super precise imho).
Added the broth and the lentils and quinoa. At this point I just let it simmer on lower heat for about half an hour, you could get away with slightly less maybe? more never hurts as I like things mushy. Then I added the spices and simmered it a bit more, stirring it all up. I may have added more curry powder than that...
This makes enough for about 2 people plus a bit more? I don't know how hungry you are!

You can definitely adjust anything in this recipe to taste. I also think sweet potato would be good, any kind of pepper really, or zucchini? Fucking mix it up, ya know?

IMG_1092

SOUP!

Yes those are sugar cubes with icing roses on top, thanks for asking. Noodle got them for me. Did I say that already? I can't use them, they're too cute. I can't even open the box for fear they'll get dirty. My life is hard.

My mother left this morning to drive herself back to Saskatoon. She was very nervous about getting out of Toronto but we google-mapped it out and that was super-helpful. She said it was pretty easy and has made it pretty far already.
I'm pretty sad she's gone but I'm also very excited to have my place to myself again. I slept in until 1:30 p.m. to celebrate. I'm considering cleaning up to celebrate some more, but that might be pushing it.

For now I'm now going to have a cup of tea and a gluten-free ginger cookie and start my Christmas wishlist and Christmas planning. 
I'm hoping that this will FINALLY be the year where I get all the things done for Christmas that I'm planning for. A girl can dream (about Christmas every day).

Does anyone want to order some Christmas cards to give to their friends and family this year? I will make you some and they will be very beautiful!

Sorry if talking about that sort of thing at this time of year makes you furious! 
blog comments powered by Disqus