1.01.2010

this year will be about having even more fun than I expected

IMG_8954


New Years turned out way better than I expected! 
The best kind of evening, where you have zero expectations of fun and then fun creeps up and surprises you! 


IMG_8957


There were more people that I really like a lot at BandSwap, and I kind of enjoyed being the raffle girl, I was in a good enough mood to badger people into buying tickets. 
Oh, yeah, for those not in Saskatoon -- BandSwap is an annual event where 35 or so Saskatoon musicians from various bands put their names into a lottery of sorts and form new bands and then they also draw songs they have to cover (I think in 24 hours? Something like that, I don't know, I'm never in it, always just the raffle girl). It's always very very funny and fun and I really should have remembered that. 
Also, all the proceeds go to the Crisis Nursery. So that's obviously great. 


The best was when we had so many sparklers lit up for the new year and then the fire alarm went off (not sure if it was related) and they thought there was an actual fire and so everyone had to be evacuated out into the 40 below weathers. Amazing. 


IMG_8959
(These South Saskatchewan river shots are from my friend's wedding, which was in the top of the Sheraton overlooking everything. pretty beautiful views. )


IMG_8963


After Amigos I went over to Scratch, which is our friend's new restaurant/club and it is really quite neat. I went to meet up with Steve-Dave and Constantine, who were dancing and dancing. I'm pretty pleased I stopped by, ended up closing the place down and practicing all our sweet moves.


I was super responsible about not over-drinking, so much so that when I arrived home at about 5 in the morning (thanks, Brother Mistletoe, for coming to fetch me when there were no cabs to be found!) I was close to sober. Better sober than barfing! Also that meant zero hang over today, which was awesome.


IMG_8964


Today I'm back to my usual home-body ways. I made the most delicious hashbrowns and ate them all with spinach and eggs and tomatoes and that was great.
Oh yeah, last night I made corn chowder and potato soup and mum put it in all the freezer in tiny containers for meals later the way that she does. I'm stocking her up so I don't have to get her Meals On Wheels.


("Meals on wheels has desserts..." - pouting old mother)


IMG_9251
(In my mum's kitchen there's lots of pretty things hanging around.)


Mum says I'm turning into Suzy Homemaker. That's definitely not true. I have zero interest in cleaning anything, for instance.
But I do really quite enjoy cooking. Especially for other people. I don't really get to do that in Toronto. It feels weird to invite people over specifically for dinner. Some people it isn't too weird, I guess. Niki, for instance. Also, I have such a restricted diet that maybe people don't like the same things I like. JL, in particular, eats everything that is the opposite of what I eat. 



IMG_9252




Some days I wish that I had roommates to make food for. 
I like how making a meal makes me feel capable and healthy, in control of things and clever. Oh, and the payoff is immediate and filling. 


IMG_9256


Look, Adventure Cat is still soooo little. She will never stop being a kitten, ever. If she tries I will punch her. 
I love all these cats. Rerun and Pansy sleep under the covers with me, one on either side. Sigh. 


IMG_9271


IMG_9286


I'm running out of home-time very quickly. It seems like it's all of a sudden, but of course it isn't at all. There's still people I was meaning to hang out with... 
And I want to go bowling on Sunday. Who's going to come bowling?


IMG_9279


Happy first day of the new year!!
blog comments powered by Disqus