2.07.2008

shouldn't you be working on your scripts?

One day I am going to write you an entry on just how exactly I am insane. Especially in terms of relationshipping. Especially in terms of the first two (or four) weeks. Especially how I think that I like people that I, in fact, do not. But not today because I'm stuffed full of omelets and waffles.

Aunties and Uncles is my favourite brunch place. One day I will write you a review of why I love it. Even though if you live in Toronto you probably love it too and if you don't live in Toronto you probably don't care.
Anyway, not today.

I am also planning to someday write an entry about how stupid I find funny men who prefer women who are not funny. Who prefer women who are only pretty.
I'm obviously biased on this subject (on account of being a model with no sense of humour), so I can't get into it right now.

So....... apparently there's nothing I want to say today.

Cold update: it's only getting worse. My eyes glued shut while I was sleeping. (Gross, I know, sorry.)

Writing update: I'm a writer?

TV update: I'm excited that the writers' strike is bringing better programming to my main channels. Specifically excited for seeing Dexter and Big Love. I'm excited that the writers' strike seems to maybe (maaaaybe fingers crossed) but making an impact on the Canadian TV writers. Like maybe, for once, we'll get a bunch of new programs and maybe they'll even be given a chance.

EXCEPT:
Everything new that's been put out is AWFUL! Who the shit is in charge of this? Besides my friend's wife (sorry).

Things to cancel/rework entirely:

SOPHIE -
What the hell godawful piece of shit is this? Who thought this was a good idea?
This is a great example of all of the bad things about Canadian television. Specifically the way that every character is not a real person but instead a horribly overdone caricature.

JPOD -
Douglas Coupland should be ashamed of himself. Another example of character vs. caricature. This people are all idiots and I do not want to be friends with any of them and I want them all to fail miserably and get out of my face.

MVP (Secret Lives of Hockey Wives) -
Kristin Booth is a good actress, she's been a working actor in Canada for some time. She has talent. What is she doing on this show? And why is she playing a hot blonde? Even the fact that there are babes on this show does not make me want to watch it. It is terrible. It is a blatant attempt to get both men and women to watch it. It has soap opera plot lines mixed with hockey politics.

CBC did a shit job with their new shows this year. Though, I have to say, I'm glad that they are making an attempt at original programming and have gotten out of their "reality TV will save us!!!" mentality. I find it commendable that they're introducing a bunch of new Canadian shows at once, but, HOW ARE NONE OF THESE SHOWS EVEN REMOTELY GOOD?

Embarrassing.

A few years ago CBC did pilots of a few potential shows including This Space For Rent and Rabbittown. Both of those pilots made me want to see more. Why weren't those ones picked up?
(Haha, I just IMDB'ed them and found that one of the writers of Rabbittown is writing/acting on MVP. I don't get it.)

I shouldn't be rude about these shows, and will continue to watch them. We all know that if I got offered roles in any of them I would gladly grovel for them...
But....

We should do something about this. Canadian are capable of making good TV. I know it. I have to believe it. The problem is that it's all on the extreme cable networks that no one can afford to get and that no one watches. ie:
Slings and Arrows
ReGenesis (occasionally shown on Global, but only when they don't have anything better to air)
Durham County (I auditioned for this and have seen only a couple of episodes but it is really pretty creepy and great. I don't know if it's been cancel though... probably)

Instead of buying American cable shows to play on our major networks, they should be buying Canadian TV shows..

I wish I knew how to fix this. I wish the executives knew how to fix this. Quebec, a much smaller populations, has an extremely successful, well-appreciated film community. It must be possible. Except that America is feeding us all the shows we need...

I don't know.

Dear Everyone Who Writes For Television:
Love is all you need.

Characters who LOVE each other (for real not just say that they do)
Characters who LOVE their goals and dreams and even their obstacles
Characters who are in LOVE or are aiming for LOVE
LOVEable characters, who people can relate to and want to be friends with, or at least LOVE to hate and want to see more of

Love,

That Girls Who Writes About Writing Instead of Actually Writing

I know that I do not know everything and that I would not actually be able to fix it and that people are trying their best.
I'm just frustrated.
blog comments powered by Disqus