11.23.2010

simply having a wonderful (early) christmastime dinner party

I'm in a way better mood today!

Yesterday I felt like I had not done a good job at my audition, I felt like I had just not looked as good as I could have or been as lively as I could have, etc. etc.
anyway, they want to see me again for it. So that means I wasn't the worst. Yay!

Also, I had a super nice time at my dinner party!

awww look how happy I am in my little tiny kitchen! cooking away for some of my favourite people. awwww what a life what a life! pictures are such good things to have to remind me how much I like things.


This guy told me he's been angling to make an appearance on my blog forever. I love him! He also said he needs an awesome nickname but then failed to choose one for himself. Hmmm. I kind of like Beastly. How about Beastly? No, wait, what about Sweet Beastly?
I'm going to go with that for now anyway.


haa I'm such a round little elf lady. kind of nice. I should get to be a mum someday I would rule at it so hard. I fully ruined that dress in a bunch of ways. Ah well, whatevers. I should definitely have found my apron but I really just don't know where I would have put it.


ooooeeeee so dashing, hey??



Okay maybe you're wondering about the food for this dinner party. It wasn't terribly exciting more like just basic and good. That's what I was in the mood for. I had originally planned for making curried lentil quinoa soup but then on the day all I could think about was stew. It was just so grey and windy and I wanted stew and biscuits.
IMG_3513 1

VEGETARIAN STEW:
man, okay, you can just boil some stuff up together, that's what I do. But what I did for this particular soup was

butter/olive oil
1 large onion
2 medium potatoes
lots of mushrooms
some carrots
lots of broccoli
some zucchini
veg stock
Italian seasoning
cumin

Is that it? maybe?

Fried up the onions in some butter mixed with olive oil. Then sauteed all the mushrooms up in that. Then added the potatoes and the stock because I like when my potatoes are fully cooked right up the most so mushy. Then added the rest of the vegetables then the seasonings then it just stewed around for a couple of hours while I made other things/cleaned up/etc. It could have been done an hour earlier if necessary I think but it didn't hurt for it to stew around. Ya know?
I like my stews with lots of broccoli and mushrooms. That's what I like.
You can also add TVP (textured veg protein) to this if you want but just before serving I would think. I've done that in the past makes it like chicken stew sort of. but I mostly like this stew just on its own.
IMG_3503
(christmas napkin roll-ups!!!!! ugh ugh lovelovelovelove)

The biscuits I just made with a gluten-free mix I got in Kensington. BUT I added dill seeds and cheddar. Mum-style.
The dill and cheddar just fucking make them. Also putting butter on them. Butterbutterbutter.
IMG_3518

We had a big salad as well. I should always remember to eat more salad. Like the salad that's in the fridge right now.
IMG_3508 1
I'm in love with all my dinnerware and glassware and my silver salad tongs. Just in case you were wondering.

IMG_3515 1
I also made candied cranberries. I got the recipe from my cousin's blog. So festive! I wish I'd gotten them done earlier so they could have crisped up a bit longer. Still pretty nice.

IMG_3505
And we also had some spiced cranberry-almond sugar cookies for dessert. They weren't the best but they were alright. I'm still learning about gluten-free cooking, so cut me some slack. Also some clementines. I had never heard of a clementine before Toronto.

IMG_3507 1
For drinking we had lots of red wine and we had gin and/or vodka mixed with a punch I made that was cranberry pop mixed with lemonade basically. With cranberry ice-cubes and lemon slices.

llllllove gin with cranberry and lemons. I was first introduced to this years ago in Saskatoon when I had a weird brief fling of a friendship with a girl. Along with our gin adventures we had a New Years party just the two of us at the mansionhouse she was house-sitting that involved cigars and wine in the hot tub and dragging all of our blankets and stuff into the living room to sleep under the 10 foot tall Christmas tree and be beside the fireplace and then we had a motown dance party. Crazycrazy fun.

IMG_3516 1

IMG_3531
We had a real nice time just sitting around talking about anything. And listening to the Christmas mix I had prepared, of course.
IMG_3519 1

Wanna know the track listing? obviously.


OH MISTLETOE CHRISTMAS MIX
The Three Kings* - Mormon Tabernacle Choir
It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas - Johnny Mathis
Ring Ring - Sleigh Bells
Wonderful Christmastime - Paul McCartney
Paris 2004 - Peter, Bjorn & John
Jingle Bells - Ella Fitzgerald
Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - Darlene Love
What Christmas Means To Me - Stevie Wonder
All I Want For Christmas Is You - Mariah Carey
Carol Of The Bells - Home Alone Soundtrack
The Holly And The Ivy - Mormon Tabernacle Choir
We Three Kings - Wintersleep
Maybe This Christmas - Ron Sexsmith
December - Basia Bulat
Merry Christmas Baby - Otis Redding
The Man With The Bag - Kay Starr
Sleigh Ride - Ella Fitzgerald
Home Alone (movie theme)

*this song is different than WE three kings, it's the most amazing carol. if you need a copy of it email me and I'll send it to you for sure

 IMG_3521 1
This smile looks forced, but I assure you he was having the time of his life.

IMG_3520
I'm very happy that everyone agreed to wear their Christmas hats from their crackers and also their Christmas jewels I bought to wear on our faces.

Aww I'm so happy thinking about this.
IMG_3523 1

IMG_3527
haaawww Sweet Beastly, can't take him anywhere.

IMG_3534
wellll... they can't all be flattering shots, eh?

I want to have more Christmas parties now. Luckily I have about 10 on the horizon. Never enough! But I do feel like I should do something for my birthday/Christmas. Hmmmmmmm.

IMG_3536
I do have a few more photos but I think I'll save them for tomorrow. To have some content going while I'm away.

Tomorrow I am going on a road trip with Dayna and I am SO EXCITED. I think I already said that, but it bears repeating. I keep thinking something's going to interfere and ruin it. I don't know why.
I'm not a big worrier but sometimes I'm a neurotic worrier.
I am such, such a big fan of road trips. And of parents. And of dogs and of adventures. And of thrifting. And of crafting. And of Sweet Thing. We're going to their show on Friday in Ottawa, so fun! I'm going to hit on all the OTTAWA BABES.
Hey do you guys know any babes in Ottawa?

Hahaaa I was yelling at a babe the other day about babes and he was like "I have a name you know. we aren't just all just babes"
blog comments powered by Disqus